The Department of Intramural Sports & Recreation (IMSR) provides recreational and wellness programs for North Carolina Wesleyan students, faculty, and staff. The department strives to be recreation leaders that connect, engage, and enhance the NC Wesleyan experience while fostering a sense of community by offering quality and inclusive recreation programs, services, and facilities that encourage healthy, active, lifestyles with a commitment to education, leadership, and student success. From quality facilities and a dynamic intramurals program to group fitness classes, the department has something for everyone.
Programs and Services
Completed in 2004 as part of a $2 million renovation project, the Taylor Recreation Center includes a fitness center that offers over 3,000 square feet of cardio and weight training equipment. The TRC also includes a gymnasium used for a variety of departmental and campus wide activities including intramurals, drop-in basketball/volleyball, group fitness classes, club sports practices, and special events. If it’s physical, the Taylor Recreation Center has it. This is your very own on-campus health club and primary location for all recreational experiences at North Carolina Wesleyan University.
Taylor Recreation Center
General Use Policy
The Taylor Recreation Center is a controlled access facility. Only authorized users (NC Wesleyan students, faculty/staff, and approved guests) are allowed entry. The IMSR staff reserves the right to prohibit participation from those not having proper identification.
- Responsibility for general supervision of the building, gymnasium, and fitness area rests with the staff members and supervisors directly in charge of the activity or area. Students provide primary supervision for the facility and act with the full authority of a full-time employee. Harassment or disregard of the directions provided by the staff will not be tolerated.
- Profane or indecent language is discouraged. Such language which is directed at employees or deemed offensive to other users will not be allowed.
- Appropriate attire is necessary to gain access to the Taylor Recreation Center. Shirts and shoes are required to be worn in all activity areas. Clothing that sends profane, inflammatory or bigoted messages is discouraged.
- Closed-toe shoes with non-marking soles are required to enter and/or use free-weight equipment area. Only closed-toe athletic shoes with non-marking soles are allowed on cardio equipment.
- The possession or use of alcohol or illegal drugs is not permitted. The use of tobacco products, including smokeless tobacco is not permitted in the building.
- Food is prohibited inside activity areas and should be disposed before entrance into an area. This includes all spectators for intramural activities. Beverages are permitted in the activity areas only if contained in a sealable bottle.
- The use of skateboards, roller skates and rollerblades are prohibited. Bicycles are not permitted in the building without prior approval.
- No animals except guide dogs are permitted in the building.
- The Taylor Recreation Center is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items. Valuables, book bags or other personal articles will not be held for participants at the TRC front desk. Items should be stored in the provided cubbies.
- Members are responsible for the conduct of their guests and must remain with their guests at all times when in the facility.
- All participants are asked to immediately report any injury or facility/equipment irregularity to staff members on duty.
The above policies and procedures are put in place for the safety and well-being of our patrons. Failure to adhere to them will result in removal from the facility. In addition, our staff is always open to user opinions and ideas. Questions or comments should be expressed to the director or a facility manager at the front desk.
Fitness & Wellness
Fitness and Wellness provides a variety of group aerobic classes (including Zumba, belly dancing, cardio funk, and kickboxing), fitness/nutrition workshops, and fitness incentive programs. All classes and workshops are taught by highly qualified instructors. To participate, you need only show up at the designated time. Spaces are limited so make sure you come early to enjoy the fun. To see class descriptions and a class schedule, simply check the bulletin board in the TRC or the department’s website.
The Intramural Sports program offers a fun and unique recreational opportunity to the NC Wesleyan community. The program organizes and coordinates leagues, tournaments, and events in a variety of sports and activities. Some of these include basketball (4-on-4 and 5-on-5), flag football (7-on-7 and 4-on-4), volleyball (indoor and outdoor), billiards, indoor soccer, ping pong, and dodge ball. Men’s, Women’s, and Co-Recreational leagues are available in all team sports. Everyone can find an activity to fit their ability.
The IMSR work atmosphere is full of excitement. Our student employee positions provide practical work experience in a variety of areas including facility supervision, customer service, activity supervision, and intramural officiating. These positions offer opportunities to enhance both your leadership and management skills, as well as, be a part of the biggest and best team on campus. We are always looking for candidates filled with enthusiasm that possess a commitment to excellence!
Come on by, give us a try, and explore the endless opportunities for recreation right here on campus. All this information and much more can be found on the department’s website at ncwu.edu/student-affairs/sports-recreation.