Getting Started Checklist
1. Activating Benefits, Program Changes and Direct Deposit:
- To apply for VA Benefits (and designate your direct deposit account): Visit va.gov/education/how-to-apply
- Scroll midway down the page and click “Find your education Benefits Form.”
- Click “Applying for new benefit” and follow the prompts if you have never used your benefits before. OR click on “Updating my current education benefit” and follow the prompts if you have used benefits before at a different school (program change).
2. Apply For Admission at NC Wesleyan University:
- Visit ncwu.edu/admissions
- Follow the Steps to Submit Previous College Transcripts (including military transcripts p.11) and Other Required Paperwork to Complete Your Application
- Complete the Veteran Student In-Processing Form
3. Apply For Scholarships:
- The majority of scholarship applications are due at the beginning of the year. Plan accordingly!
4. Apply For Financial Aid:
- Complete your FREE application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) by visiting studentaid.gov
- Enter NCWU School Code – 002951
- Submit forms as requested via my.ncwu.edu/ICS/My_Finances/Financial_Aid.jnz
- Complete the NC Need-Based Grant Application (you will need to log in to your student account first):
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if any questions
5. Enroll In Classes:
- Check with your academic advisor for dates and instructions. For Dates and Instructions, Check with your Academic Advisor.
6. Request VA Certification:
- Complete the VA Certification Request Form and Submit to School Certifying Official, Laura Estes, at email@example.com
7. Maintain Verification and Attendance:
- All Changes to Your Schedule Must be Reported to the School Certifying Official Lestes@ncwu.edu or VAQuestions@ncwu.edu
- Attend class! The VA DOES NOT Pay for Non-attendance.
- CH 30 and 1606: Report attendance through W.A.V.E by calling toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. CH 33: Report attendance at the end of each month. For more information: https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/isaksonroe/verification_of_enrollment.asp
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA – falling below 2.0 for two consecutive terms will lead to termination of your enrollment reported to the VA.