Frequently Asked Questions

Traditional Studies FAQs

General Questions

What are the Core Values and Mission/Vision of NC Wesleyan University?

Our Mission

North Carolina Wesleyan University, a private institution affiliated with the United Methodist Church, prepares students for professional advancement, life-long learning, and responsible participation in their communities.

Our Vision

At North Carolina Wesleyan University, we provide students with opportunities to make meaningful connections and learn through innovative teaching approaches. The distinctive Wesleyan experience equips our graduates to make a positive impact on the world.

Core Values

  • Knowledge and Understanding
  • Integrity and Accountability
  • Patience and Respect
  • Kindness and Empathy

What athletics are offered at NCWU?

Men:  Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, and Tennis
Women:  Basketball, Cross Country and Track, Soccer, Softball, Lacrosse, Tennis, and Volleyball.

What does it mean that North Carolina Wesleyan is affiliated with The United Methodist Church?

In 1956, The United Methodist Church gave sanction and support to create a college in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. That college is North Carolina Wesleyan University. The College has enjoyed more than a fifty year history and is pleased to be associated with The United Methodist Church, subscribing to its long held belief in inclusion and meaningful exchange of ideas.

Admissions Questions

What are the admission educational requirements for students who are applying to NCWU?

Students who are applying to NCWU should have taken the following courses in high school as minimum standards:

4 units in English
3 units in Mathematics
3 units in Science
2 units in Social Studies
A student who has taken the above courses will need to submit the following materials:

  • An admissions application, which can be found online depending on your student type.  A paper application can also be requested, if needed.
  • Official high school transcript.
  • Official SAT or ACT score(s).

Please note that a student’s file will not be evaluated until we have received all of the above materials.

When is the deadline for submitting an application?

NCWC is on a rolling admissions system, meaning that we do not have an application deadline.  However, we encourage all students to apply as early as possible, as space is limited.

Do I need to submit an essay or recommendation letters?

Submitting an essay and recommendation letters are optional.  However, if you think that it will help you in the admissions process, then we strongly encourage you to submit these materials.

When should I expect to hear from you regarding my admissions status?

After we have received all of your application materials, your admissions counselor will evaluate your file. Once reviewed, your our admissions counselor will call you and/or send you an email regarding your status.  If you have been accepted, then you should receive your acceptance packet in the mail within the next 7-10 business days.

Is there a minimum GPA and SAT/ACT score requirement to be admitted?

Students should have the following minimum criteria to be accepted for regular admission to the college:


  • Cumulative 2.5 weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale
  • Standardized test score of one of the following:
    • Composite of 760 on the SAT pre-March 2016 (Critical Reading and Math only)
    • Composite of 850 on the SAT (March 2016 and newer)
  • Composite of 15 on the ACT

**Students that do not meet the above stated criteria will be reviewed by a committee.  These students may be recommended for the Freshman Advantage Program or may be required to submit additional information such as an updated transcript or recommended to retake the SAT or ACT.


  • Be in good academic and social standing with all post-secondary institutions attended
  • Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher


  • Cumulative 2.5 weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale
  • Standardized test score of one of the following:
    • Composite of  on the TOEFL (60)/IELTS (6.0)
    • Composite of 850 on the SAT (March 2016 and newer)
    • Composite of 15 on the ACT

What are your scholarship opportunities?

NCWC offers academic scholarships based on a student’s high school GPA and SAT or ACT scores.  To be eligible for an academic scholarship, a student would need at least a 2.5 GPA and a 900 SAT score or a 17 ACT composite score.  We do have our Bishop Opportunity Award for those who fall below our criteria for our Merit-based scholarships – eligibility based off of GPA, Test Scores, and need.  For more information regarding scholarship and program awards, please visit:

Academic Questions

What academic resources are available?

We offer the following academic resources:

Peer and Professional Tutoring is available for every academic subject.
The Writing Center is available to assist students when they have writing assignments.
• Peer Assisted Study Sessions are available, which targets historically difficult classes.  These sessions are led by students who have taken the course and have done well in it.
Disability Support Services
• Personal Academic Coaching teaches students strategies to excel academically.

Do you count the Writing section on the SAT?

No, we do not count the Writing section.  We only count the Critical Reading and the Math sections.

What is the SAT School code for NCWU?


What is the ACT School Code for NCWU?


Does NCWU offer nursing as an academic major?

Yes; you can complete an accredited RN to BSN online program in as little as 12 months through Adult Professional Studies. For Traditional, we do offer Biomedical Science for students who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine, dentistry, or veterinary medicine.  This is the same program as Pre-Med, just under a different name.

Can I receive credit for Advance Placement (AP) tests?

Yes, if you score a 3, 4, or 5 on the AP test, then you can receive credit. Official test score reports will need to be submitted to the Registrar for applicable credit.

Campus Questions

What is the average class size and the student-to-faculty ratio at NCWU?

The average class size is no more than 30 students and our average student-to-faculty ratio is 17:1.

Are freshmen allowed to have cars on campus?

Yes, freshmen are allowed to have cars. There is no charge associated with having your car on campus.

Is on campus housing guaranteed all 4 years?

No, campus housing is not guaranteed all 4 years.

Can I live off campus?

All freshman are required to live on campus; unless the student is living with a parent or guardian within a 50 miles radius of the campus.  Incoming and returning U.S. based students are allowed to live off campus only if they have earned 60 or more credit hours and have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA. For those interested in living off campus, an application can apply for permission to live off campus is required.

For more information concerning the requirements for international students living off campus, please e-mail the Office of Residence Life at reslife@NCWC.EDU.

What procedures does NCWU have in place to ensure students’ safety?

There are several steps that we take to make sure that students are safe on campus.  Our campus security is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week.  Security can be reached anytime on their phone. Their office is available from 5:00 pm – 8:00 am for people walking to and from facilities and parking lots.  In addition, there are Blue Light Emergency Tower located throughout the campus. If a crisis was to ever occur on campus or near campus, we have an Emergency Response Plan that will set off the campus-wide siren.  If the student has provided their cell phone number to the Office of Student Affairs, then they will receive a voicemail message with information about the emergency situation and how to respond.

What type of area is Rocky Mount and what is there to do there?

Rocky Mount is an All-America Award winning city that is located off of Interstate 95 and about an hour east of Raleigh on U.S. Route 64.  There are sections of the city that are rural, other areas that are urban, and other areas that are suburban.  Rocky Mount has numerous museums, parks, and a sports complex which is one of the largest sports complexes on the eastern seaboard.  There is also a multi-plex movie theater, bowling alley, skating rink, arcade, numerous restaurants, and a mall which are all about a ten minute drive away from the college.  The Dunn Center is located on campus that holds events such as concerts, orchestras, and comedy shows that are open to the students and the Rocky Mount community.

Financial Aid & Tuition Questions

I have questions about the FAFSA and/or the financial aid process. Who should I contact?

If you have any questions regarding the FAFSA, please call the Office of Financial Aid at 252.985.5290.  You can also email them at

What other types of financial aid are available?

Besides scholarships, the other types of financial aid that are available are grants, loans, and work study.  Grants and scholarships do not have to be repaid.  Loans do not have to be repaid until after a student has graduated from college.  Work study is on campus employment that is planned around the student’s academic schedule.  Our Financial Aid department can determine what and how much you are eligible for based on the information that is on your FAFSA.

What is NCWU’s FAFSA code?


What is the FAFSA and when should it be filled out?

The FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  It is a form that is used to determine the amount of money a family is expected to contribute to the price of attending a college or university. The results of the FAFSA are used in determining grants, work study, and loan amounts.  The FAFSA can be filled out online at  There is no deadline to submit the FAFSA.  It is strongly recommended that you complete the FAFSA as soon as it is available October 1.

Do you offer athletic scholarships?

Because we are part of the NCAA Division III, unfortunately, we are prohibited from giving athletic scholarships.

Adult & Professional Studies FAQs

General Questions

When was NCWU's Adult and Professional Studies Founded?

North Carolina Wesleyan University adult and professional programs offered courses back in the mid-1970’s on campuses located in Goldsboro and Jacksonville, NC. Our Adult Program further developed in the early 1980’s and we have established programs in the Triangle, Goldsboro, and Rocky Mount. In 2011 “Adult Degree Programs” was renamed to ASPIRE: Adult Student Programs: Innovative, Respected, Engaging. It was further renamed the “Office of Adult and Professional Studies”. We currently have about 1200 students enrolled in Adult Studies.

What is the mission of the Office of Adult and Professional Studies?

The mission of North Carolina Wesleyan’s Office of Adult and Professional Studies is to provide an excellent education in selected disciplines for non-traditional students. Many people desire a college education but are unable to attend classes on campus during the day. For those who never attended college or have had to interrupt their education and now wish to begin again, NCWU offers a supportive learning environment, small classes, and a quality educational program.

What is the Adult Studies Accelerated program?

The Office of Adult and Professional Studies is an accelerated, intellectually demanding degree program with a number of majors and minors. Accelerated classes meet online for 6 or 8 weeks or as hybrid classes. Students may be required to complete a substantial pre-class assignment before the first week as well as extensive out-of-class reading and/or assignments each week. The model uses theories of adult learning which emphasize the importance of utilizing the knowledge adults bring to the classroom, and helping students understand the theoretical construct which underlies their practical knowledge.

What major agencies accredit NCWU?

General Accreditation
North Carolina Wesleyan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and graduate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of North Carolina Wesleyan University. In addition, we are members of:

  • National Association of Schools and Colleges of the United Methodist Church.
  • North Carolina Association of Colleges and Universities, the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges.
  • North Carolina Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. (Women graduates are eligible for membership in the American Association of University Women.)

Teacher Education Accreditation
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction grants North Carolina teaching licenses to graduates of North Carolina Wesleyan who have completed the prescribed licensure program and who are recommended by the University. The teacher education program is accredited by the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP).

RN to BSN Program Accreditation
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at North Carolina Wesleyan University is accredited by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

Admissions Questions

Who is eligible for Adult and Professional Studies?

NCWU Adult Studies admissions is open to all persons who meet the following criteria:

  • Have completed an application to the appropriate location.
  • At least 21 years of age or an approved age waiver

How do I Apply for Admission?

An individual seeking admission to North Carolina Wesleyan University Adult Studies must submit the following:

  • Completed application form, signed and dated. Click here to apply.
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities.
  • Official copy of high school transcript if transferring fewer than 12 semester hours of credit

Is there an application fee?

No. It does not cost anything to apply or to get an initial assessment at NCWU.

Can I have my transcripts evaluated before I apply?

Yes. As a courtesy, we will provide an Unofficial Pre-Application Transcript Evaluation. We will evaluate your transcripts and provide an individualized degree completion worksheet to any prospective student wanting information regarding possible transfer credit before making a decision to attend North Carolina Wesleyan University.

Are there other fees for admission?

No! There are no fees for admissions into the University.

What courses and grades are required for transfer consideration?

The university’s transfer policy is designed to award academic credit for previous college-level work a student has completed from institutions whose accreditation agency is approved by the Department of Education. These institutions include four-year colleges and universities and two-year junior, technical, and community colleges. All advanced standing credit is awarded only in areas offered within the current curriculum of the institution, and is appropriately related to the student’s educational program. Any academic course meeting these criteria with a grade of “C”or higher will be considered for transfer credit.  It does not matter how old the credit is.

The maximum credit accepted from two-year institutions is 60-75 semester hours. The maximum amount of credit accepted from four-year institutions and CLEP general examinations is 90 semester hours. Students are required to earn a minimum of 31 credit hours at NC Wesleyan University.

Can I receive credit for personal/professional experiences?

Students who have completed certain professional development programs, such as CompTIAA for IT, can receive academic credit.

NC Wesleyan University is in the process of developing a formal credit for prior learning policy that would allow students to receive academic credit for professional experiences.

Enrollment Questions

How do I register for classes?

You may register in person or through the online portal. You must be a current and active student to utilize the online registration process. The registration process will be explained when you meet with your advisor for the first time. Current or previous students can contact with questions.

What majors are offered?

The Adult & Professional Studies program offers a variety of majors in today’s leading industries. Students can choose to focus on one major, double major and add on a variety of minors including human resources, leadership, psychology and many more! Visit our APS Academics Program to view full list.

Do you offer CLEP and DSST testing?

North Carolina Wesleyan University no longer offers CLEP and DSST standardized exams at the Triangle location.

Academic Questions

How does the academic calendar work?

Adult Studies operates on a 3 semester (fall, spring, and summer) academic calendar. Each semester is broken into either 6 or 8-week terms which allow students to continuously enroll in courses.  We have six terms per year.

Do Adult & Professional Studies students have access to library resources?

Yes. To access more information about what the NCWU Library has to offer, please click here.

Can I take online classes only?

Yes. Online classes are offered through the Office of Adult and Professional Studies. The entire program is tailored to the learning styles and schedules of working adults.

Financial Aid & Tuition Questions

What kind of financial aid is available for adult students?

Please click here for current financial aid information.

Do you offer adult academic scholarships?

North Carolina Wesleyan University offers a variety of Adult Studies scholarships and grants.

What is the tuition refund policy?

A student who completes the proper paperwork to drop a course by the following deadlines will receive a refund of tuition already paid and/or will not be liable for outstanding tuition.

• To get a refund, students MUST drop the course before close of business on the 7th day from when the term starts.

Students dropping after the stated deadline will not receive a tuition refund and will be responsible for the full cost of tuition and fees.

Are you an International Student? If so, we have all the answers and resources you need!