Enhance Your Current Professional or Clinical Skills with a Public Health Graduate Certificate
Become a public health leader who can integrate the health-promoting qualities of physical activity into public health practice in order to prevent disease and improve the health of communities. The skills you attain in our Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health** program can assist you with your current role or broaden your understanding of public health, supplement another degree, enhance your current professional or clinical skills, or prepare for further graduate study.
Why Choose a Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health?
- The foundational public health courses required for the Certificate program align with Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) accredited MPH programs
- Because the certificate program is comprised of core foundational public health graduate courses, courses can be easily transferred into the NCWU MPH program and should transfer into most MPH programs
- Expand your current professional skills, or specialize in a public health-related area
- Enhance your current graduate program and increase your post-graduate marketability
About the Program
- Understanding of the basic tenets, applications, and foci of public health, in addition to measures of population health and illness (risk factors, epidemiological data, and access to healthcare).
- Application of epidemiological methods to a breadth of settings and situations in public health practice
- Understanding of the major social determinants of health, and the influence of major social determinants of health on public health programs and policies.
- Understanding and application of quantitative and qualitative data collection methods appropriate for a given public health context.
- Understanding of the role of public health programs and policies in creating health equity and reducing health disparities.
Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health By the Numbers
- Public health careers are expected to grow 15% between 2019-2029* (much faster than the average for all occupations)
- 100% online
- 14 credit hours
- 2 semesters
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, US Department of Labor (2021)
The following are just a few examples of careers where a Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health may be beneficial:
- Healthcare personnel including nurses, physicians, technicians, and others
- Healthcare Administration Professionals
- Exercise Science Professionals
- Health Promotion Specialists
- Health Education Specialists
- Community advocates/community health workers
Requirements for Public Health Certificate:
- An undergraduate degree
There is no pre-requisite undergraduate degree to apply for this program, however, a strong interest in, or background/education in public health or a related field (exercise science, health promotion, healthcare administration, biomedical sciences, health psychology, nursing, others) is encouraged.
- Must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended, demonstrating successful or pending completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum undergraduate 2.7 overall GPA
- Complete our FREE application
Note: Certificate programs are separate from Master’s programs, however, certificate credits can be applied to a Master’s program.
Fall Semester: August
Students can begin the Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health in the Fall, and can complete the Certificate program in two semesters (Fall and Spring). The projected schedule of course offerings for the Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health program is detailed below:
|PBH 500: Foundations in Public Health (3 SH)[Fall A]
|PBH 510: Quantitative & Qualitative Methods in Public Health (3 SH)
|PBH 525: Public Health Policy, Management, & Leadership (3 SH)
Pre-req or co-req: PBH 500
|PBH 540: Healthcare Systems (2 SH)
Pre-req: PBH 500
|PBH 520: Epidemiology
Pre-req: PBH 500; PBH 510
|Total: 6 SH
|Total: 8 SH
Request More Information
*Stand-alone, credit-based courses that lead to a certificate that improves competency in areas specific to a student’s career choice. Students can use financial aid for these certificate programs, and these certificate credits can be applied to formal degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Learning outcomes may qualify students to apply/test for specific certifications not administered by NC Wesleyan University.